Skip to main content

REVIEW: BLACKASS

Author: A. Igoni Barrett

Genre: Fiction | Satire

My Rating: 4.5 Stars

Year of Publication: 2015

Number of Pages: 302

SUMMARY
Furo Wariboko- born and bred in Lagos - wakes up on the morning of his job interview to discover he has turned into a white man. As he hits the city streets running, still reeling from his new-found condition, Furo is amazed to find the dead ends of his life wondrously open out before him.
As a white man in Nigeria, the world is seemingly his oyster - except for one thing: despite his radical transformation, his ass remains robustly black...
Funny, fierce, inventive and daringly provocative - this is a very modern satire, with a sting in the tail.

MY VERDICT
I initially came across this book late last year and the title caught my eye immediately. I included it in the first ever Wishlist on the blog here . So when i was gifted this book by my friend back in July, I was super eager to read it.
Now for my review; This was a very rivetting, fierce and visual read from start to finish. The plot was very unique and the author comes across as non-conformist when it comes to writing his feelings down. He wasn't afraid to put his true emotions into words; he basically didn't hold back and i loved that about this novel. It was rawly written with no filter at all. I read it in two sittings! (that's how good it is) In my opnion, a movie should be made out of this. It totally deserves that kind of recognition.
In general I prefered the chapters centred around Furo to the ones around Igoni.
 I'm a sucker for a good quote, so best believe I was uber excited to see quotes at the beginning of each chapter. The book touches various topics from white privilege to social media whilst still maintaining it's satirical nature. I absolutely recommend this! You can purchase this book here on Africareeds.com.

PS: Check out my Favourite Quotes page xx

Comments

  1. I red this book last year and I really enjoyed it.
    I felt it could have ended better, but ill still give it a 4/5

    https://becomingyeva.wordpress.com/2017/02/06/how-i-made-1-million-naira-extra/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you, but the book was awesome regardless. Thank you for dropping a comment, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw the book but never read it, but your review... I'll read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my review helped. Please feel free to drop a comment about how you find the book. Thank you :)

      Delete
  4. I Thoroughly enjoyed your review. It intrigued me and I hope to see you review a couple more books like The secret lives of Baba Segi's wives. I hope to see more like this in the very near future

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I've actually read The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's wives, but that was a while ago. I'll be rereading it soon, so be sure to keep an eye on the blog for that. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE FULANI CREATION STORY

    Right from the moment Mr.Salami -my social studies teacher in year 8- taught us about religion and what different ethnic groups in Nigeria believe the true creation story is ;according to their norms and traditional orientation. I took a  particular interest in one story , which was The Fulani peoples' story.      I guess my reason was because it was so different from all the other stories. I was captivated by how they incorporated different elements of life ; how it was presented in  poem form ,but it isn't a poem lol. Let me spare you the detail . Here is a brief history of the Fulanis , for those who aren't too familiar with who they are and what part of Nigeria they hail from. Fulani, people of Africa numbering about 7 million and dispersed in varying, often sizable, concentrations throughout the grassland areas of West Africa from Senegal and Guinea to Nigeria , Cameroon, and Chad. Their Fulfulde language is closely related to the languages of

REVIEW: A COWRIE OF HOPE

Author : Binwell Sinyangwe My Rating : 3 Stars Genre : Fiction/ Literature Year Published : 2000 ISBN : 9780435912024 Number of Pages : 152 Date Read : 03/12/2017 SUMMARY 'These were the nineties,' reflects the narrator of A Cowrie of Hope , and for the young widow Nasula they are years of relentless economic hardship and privation. She dreams of a better life for her beautiful daughter, Sula, free from poverty and independent of marriage. But when Nasula finds herself unable to pay for Sula's education, her hopes seem to have been extinguished - until a friend advises her to go to Lusaka and sell her last sack of highly sought-after Mbala beans. Nasula makes the journey, but in the city she finds herself exposed to new, and predatory, dangers. MY THOUGHTS The author's writing style was pretty basic. The plot was kind of predictable, nothing mind-blowing, but pretty decent. I especially loved how the story gave me Joys of Motherhood vibes.